3.13.2008

rules and regulations


Today my dad and I went to "Salem Boys" to wash my car. It's the type of car wash that you use quarters to buy time in the bays. You're supposed to wash your car in the bay and then drive it forward to a spot where you can dry and vacuum it. If you'd like you can even buy some awfully potent scented trees.

Anyway, after we washed my car (by "we" I mean mostly my dad), I opened the driver's side door to get in and pull it forward. My dad had a different idea. He wanted to dry it in the bay. This was clearly against the rules. I know this mostly because of the huge red and white sign that reads "NO DRYING IN BAYS." This really stressed me out. I can't veto my dad's decision, but he was breaking the rules! My dad isn't a lawless criminal, he just didn't see the reason for following that specific rule on a Thursday afternoon when no one was there. NO ONE was waiting to use the bays. In fact, we were the only ones washing our car and there were three other bays open. Nevertheless, I was stressed.

I don't know where this desire to follow even the most silly rules comes from, but it's there. You would think I had a scary childhood full of dire consequences if I broke a rule. But I didn't....not in the least bit. I am so tightly wound and I have no reason to be. Today was a good reminder that I needed to loosen up :)

No comments: