3.15.2008

crushed

If you've ever had a child, you know what I'm talking about. That pride you feel when you see them succeed. The astonishment you experience when they "grow right before your eyes." And when they do something silly (like bite someone), there is always a slight feeling of disappointment. These have been my experiences over the last 6 years, and I wouldn't trade them for the world.

But, watching them grow up breaks your heart. I remember when I could hold him in just one hand. I remember when when he used to play in the bathtub for half an hour. I remember how much he used to love when I'd take him in the backyard, and he'd play in the grass for hours. Now, all of that has changed.

I can barely pick him up at all anymore. He barely comes out of his room. He is enormously messy, and it's all I can do to convince him to take a bath. I sure do miss the old days


I miss being there to see everything that happens. I hate having to hear about when my step mom stood on his back, and he got up and walked. I wish I had been there.

I miss going over to my grandma's house and picking off all of her hibiscus flowers (his favorite food).


I miss walking out into the backyard to see that he moved everything (ping-pong table, bikes, etc) off the patio so he could hide in the shade.



Crusher, my African-Spurred Tortoise is awesome. If you have painted toenails, he'll try to eat them. If you open the back door, he tries to sneak in. He's only 6 years old, but he weighs more than my wife. He is the coolest pet you could imagine. I recommend getting one. If you live in Arizona, they sell them at Pets Inc. in Tempe. You can bring yours over for a play date.

2 comments:

Christopher. said...

Wow.

Anonymous said...

Andrew,

I need huge help with my math final. That fourier series really kicks my rear. Do you think you can come a bit early to house groups to help me along?

Thanks bro,
Jerms